Kasaria's Fan Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kasaria's Fan Forum!

Join the community that has formed over the development of an exploration based virtual pet game! See exclusive sneak peaks, and even test some new features.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Back to school?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pepper-Head
Admin
Pepper-Head

Fan Points : 661

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 9:57 am

I know for some of us, our summer is about to be finished oh shoot Who is going back to school? Any big, scary exciting changes?

I'll be going off to college and living on my own for the first time this September! I've been to community college, but I'm wondering how different it'll be from a full on art college. I've been exchanging emails with my roommate though and that has put me at ease, she seems really cool! I'm freaking out because at first we were kind of reserved but... she's into gaming and that just kind of opened up the conversation  Really Happy
Back to top Go down
http://kasaria.net/
Epigraphs

Epigraphs

Fan Points : 357

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 12:49 pm

Sounds like an adventure, Pepper. Living on your own as a student is great, some of the best years of your life for sure. I was looking through old photos recently, and it made me miss it so much  Teardrops...
/oldpersonrambling

The roommate system America has has always struck me as so odd though. Down here we share houses and hallways/kitchens/bathrooms, but never the actual (bed)room. I'm not sure I could have done that, haha. But I'm glad to hear your roommate sounds cool. A shared interest in gaming is a great basis for a friendship. ;)

How many years will you be studying?
Back to top Go down
Pepper-Head
Admin
Pepper-Head

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 1:35 pm

Thank you Epigraphs! Aww!
That's great that you have something to remember it by though. If I may ask, what did you go to school for?

It is going to be quite an adjustment for me, since my brother has been out of the house for probably about 5 years, and we had separate rooms. It's been awhile since I've had to share things, but I don't think it'll be a problem! It seems like it'll be pretty fair c:

I was surprised that they took so many of my credits from community college, but it all depends on how they can fit classes into each quarter since many have prerequisites. If it all works out without a hitch, I'm looking at maybe 2.5-3 years. Which is a huge difference in cost than the full 4!
Back to top Go down
Evergreen

Evergreen

Fan Points : 19

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 8:49 pm

I won't be returning to class this semester.

Back to school? Tumblr_mc9zb7fxgO1ry10fwo1_500

...But that's because I don't have the money for it. And my dad makes too much for me to qualify for FAFSA. Unimpressed

So hopefully I'll earn enough money this fall/winter and finish my associate's degree in the spring! Really Happy I'll also be saving up to move out next year with a friend.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crittercosmos.com
Epigraphs

Epigraphs

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 3:52 am

@Evergreen: Ah, that's too bad. But it's good that you can pick your studies back up after working!
I bet living with a friend will be fun. What are you studying?

@Pepper: I studied Egyptology and Assyriology. I start my PhD in Egyptology in September. :3

It's great that you can lighten your courseload a little with classes you already took. We get a lot of American/foreign students here because going abroad is often cheaper for them. We have the opposite problem as they do really, our tution fees are reasonable but rent is insanely high. Unless you get a rent controlled place it's practically impossible to study in the big cities. So a lot of people commute. I was lucky to get a place because I lived too far to travel and my study only exists in one city.
I wish you the best of luck!
Back to top Go down
Pepper-Head
Admin
Pepper-Head

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 5:20 pm

@Evergreen - I'm in the same boat with you on the FAFSA Teardrops... Even though my mom's a single parent and because I'm not old enough to qualify as an independent, they combined her salary with my $5k I made last year and that was just enough to disqualify us, apparently. I'm really hurting for that money too, but I'm working overtime to try and get scholarships and I'm begging for more hours at work. It's sad how much you have to do to make it through college sometimes, I just try to think that it'll be worth it!

Best of luck to you! It's 99 cents but there's an awesome app for some more "undiscovered" scholarships, it's called Scholly. Maybe you can find some help that way c:

@Epigraphs 
Wow that sounds like a really neat path! That's cool that you get to do something you're interested in Smile! And here I am debating on if it's likely or not that I'll return for a MFA in a decade or so after I get my BFA. But I'm guessing your coursework will be even more geared towards what you're interested in? Or are there going to be more types of classes for reports? I'll be honest, I don't know much about that!

Yeah though, I've heard of a few people wanting to do that and I could see why! Especially for medical stuff. The area I'm moving to does not have low rent unfortunately, unless I wanted to live in a shifty area where they have to lock up their air conditioning units outside... no thanks! But I didn't know that about other countries with lower tuition! It makes sense though. ;v;

~End of Pepper's Novel
Back to top Go down
chocoshrooms
Admin
chocoshrooms

Fan Points : 133

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 8:27 am

I actually started school this last Wednesday, and boy has it been a crazy transition. The campus is way bigger than any campus I've been on for previous schools, and I have a lot of walking with minimal shade to do. I'm going to need sunscreen just for walking around campus! All of my classes are in different buildings, so I get to do a lot of exploring. Luckily, I already have my associates, so I get to focus on classes for my Creative Writing career right off the bat!

I'm still living at home and driving 30-45 minutes to campus every day instead of living on campus. As much as I would love to move out, living at home is saving me a lot of money added to my tuition. Plus, I get my own space and all my stuff, so that's kind of nice! It's only a little inconvenient for if I wanted to be more involved on campus with activities.

@Evergreen @Pepper
I also feel you guys on the FAFSA! I never qualify for it, no matter how much my family needs the money for school. Both of my parents work, and together they do make quite a bit, but it pretty much runs out at the end of each paycheck because it goes straight to bills and taking care of all four of their kids. (Even though my oldest sibling is moved out, she sometimes needs help with things). But even if all the money is being spent, they still MAKE enough that we don't qualify to get money for our schooling.

@Epigraphs
What type of job do you plan to get with those studies? Those sound really interesting! Also if it isn't too creepy to ask, what country do you live in?
Back to top Go down
Epigraphs

Epigraphs

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 1:13 pm

@Choco: Congrats on you first week at school, it must be very hectic but fun! What kind of classes are you taking for Creative Writing? Is that a field on its own or a subdivision of Languages perhaps?

Maybe you'll meet some people living at campus where you could spend the night in case of all-night activies? That's what the students out of town did at my uni. Of course, we never slept much then...all night movie night was legendary XD

My job plan is to be an researcher, and I have a good shot now. But a lot of people in my field have all sorts of other jobs (I even know a copywriter and a lawyer!) and do Egyptology on the side. It's very difficult to get into the field, but I try not to think about it too much for now. The reason I applied for the PhD in the first place was because there were NO jobs anywhere due to the crisis Unimpressed I applied for jobs for 6 months and had two interviews - it was honestly sending me into depression. If I'm going to be unemployed I'd rather it be in something I can be proud of, you know?
I live in the Netherlands.
Back to top Go down
chocoshrooms
Admin
chocoshrooms

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 3:22 pm

@Epigraphs
Thanks a ton! It HAS been super hectic, but i'm enjoying it so far. For my Creative Writing degree (at the college I am at, it is it's own field!) I am taking a British Literature Class, Forms of Creative Writing class, and Intro to Creative Writing. I'll have more this coming semester, but for now this is what I have.

Well right now I have a sister who lives closer to campus than me, but perhaps I will. All night activities sound fun, although I'm usually too tired to do them xD

Yes, I get that exactly! That's why I decided to go into Creative Writing, because even if I struggle to find a job at a publishing company as an editor or author, at least I will have the degree I want for when the job opens up. Plus I plan on working very hard, so it will work out c:
But that sounds really cool! And fun, to do research! And I've never been to the Netherlands (or out of the States, actually), although I feel like it would be an interesting place to travel one day.
Back to top Go down
Epigraphs

Epigraphs

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 6:32 am

@choco: Yeah, I agree. Better to plan for the job you want one day than to give up without even trying!

If you ever do go to the Netherlands, avoid Amsterdam. It's a tourist trap. Unless you come for getting stoned out of your mind, then you'll fit right in. Sigh. Regret
I am so ashamed of that city sometimes. It's not even the capital, everyone just thinks it is...
Back to top Go down
chocoshrooms
Admin
chocoshrooms

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 10:00 am

@Epigraphs
Exactly! Plus I've always done well/enjoyed English courses far more than any other subject, so I think it will be right for me.

What is the Capital of Netherlands...? I looked it up to see what the real capital was, but all I got was Amsterdam.
But trust me, that's not what I'm about oh shoot I would enjoy a more peaceful city. I'm not a big fan of nightlife and such. Tourist traps also aren't my thing haha.
Back to top Go down
Epigraphs

Epigraphs

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 1:26 pm

Our capital is The Hague. Don't feel bad, Amsterdam likes to pretend it is so the confusion is totally normal XD You'd probably like The Hague more. I sure do ;)
Back to top Go down
chocoshrooms
Admin
chocoshrooms

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 6:14 pm

Well hey, I learned something new! I bet I would. It looks fairly nice (from google, obviously haha)
Back to top Go down
Ninth

Fan Points : 6

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 1:15 pm

I'm actually going on a co-op work term for 8 months. I would rather be at school to be honest. Work is very tiring.
Back to top Go down
chocoshrooms
Admin
chocoshrooms

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 1:21 pm

@Ninth
I agree, work is very tiring! For 8 months? That's a long time. ;o;
Back to top Go down
Epigraphs

Epigraphs

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 1:20 pm

What's a co-op work term exactly? You work while you study? And what kind of work will you be doing, Ninth?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Back to school? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to school?   Back to school? Empty

Back to top Go down

Back to school?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kasaria's Fan Forum! :: Outta This World :: Off Topic Chat-
Jump to: